PocketSmith Web

How can we improve PocketSmith?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Roll-over budgeting

It would be great to have the option of an aggregate budget of month/week/fortnight expenses. For example clothing. Some months I buy over budget but the few months previous I may have bought nothing. It will show as over budget despite it being under the yearly budget. It would be great to have an option to roll over 'left over' or 'overspend' budgets to the next month/week/fortnight.

586 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Thank you all for the responses so far.

We’re working on a fundamental change to forecasting which will get us closer to making this feature a reality.

The forecasting algorithm will soon exclude unspent amounts from your projections. This means that a scheduled budget that has passed will not ‘disappear’ when your current balances take over.

Instead, PocketSmith will show you a ‘safe to spend’ balance at present day, which is your current balance less unspent amounts in your current budgets.

This change will result in more accurate projections, particularly for users whose budgets begin at the start of a month.

It also gets us another step closer to roll-over budgeting, as the next step from here would entail making the unspent amounts accrue.

Engineering aside, we’re working to reconcile the principle that consistently staying under budget improves your future outlook, with the feedback we’re getting here. Secondly, we need…

• Link both transfer transactions together

It would be useful to have the transfer transactions in each of the accounts affected be matched together, thus avoiding need to categorise each of the transactions manually and also for them to be grouped together on the Transactions page.

439 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

This feature is reliant upon some work we need to do around creating a unified system for transfers within PocketSmith, as currently users can determine both categories and transactions as transfers. We haven’t added this as a planned feature to the roadmap yet as we need to investigate further, but we will update the status of this idea as we make progress.

• iPhone and Android App

I realise there's a web-based verson of Pocketsmith, but I'd find it really valuable to have an application that I can use offline as well as online. (I have an iPod Touch, and if I don't have internet then and there when I incur an expense, PS online isn't any use to me.)

What I'd particularly like to see is a mobile app that offers push notifications such as the desktop notifications that I suggested in this (https://pocketsmith.uservoice.com/forums/107741-pocketsmith/suggestions/5131944-desktop-notifications) post.

Although you have a current web app, naturally this can't deliver notifications to the phone so I think a…

314 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          beta  ·  Jayson HoogeveenJayson Hoogeveen responded

The PocketSmith companion mobile app is now in public beta, which means it’s available for everyone to download and test. The app is available for iOS and Android, and will let you quickly categorize transactions and view your account balances. You can also view and edit transactions. Learn more at https://psmth.to/mobile.

If you have any ideas for the mobile apps, please share these in our mobile Feedback Forum at http://psmth.to/ffmobile

• Allow me to mark which items or bills have cleared / paid and which have not

Individual occurrences of items / forecast events in the calendar should be able to be marked as paid, or "cleared".

Problem: if I have a car payment that is due around the 15th, but there is a weekend and it clears on the 13th, the forecast still takes it out of the balance on the 15th.

The way it should work is that I mark off the items that are paid (associate a scheduled bill with a cleared transaction), and the forecast shows me my actual balance minus the uncleared scheduled bills.

Likewise for bills, as I go and pay…

295 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            planned  ·  Jayson HoogeveenJayson Hoogeveen responded

We have this planned and on our Roadmap at http://psmth.to/N4, as part of the Bills & Income feature.

We have some other features and improvements that we are currently working on, so we don’t have a timeframe for when we will be able to release this at the moment.

• Trial of the paid plans

Just wanted to tell you guys that your site and service seem really great. I like the overall polish, and while the online reviews of the site are scant, they have been all positive.

I am a Mint.com user and dissatisfied with the lack of projection tools on their end. I simply don't know how better off financially I will be in 12 months from now with them.

Having said that, and I apologize for my wordy email, I would encourage you guys to consider offering a free 30-day premium account to users when they sign up. I think you…

240 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

You can currently create a Free account and try out PocketSmith. But this is limited by the number of accounts and doesn’t include Bank Feeds

The main reason for a trial of the Premium plan is to see if the Bank Feeds work for your bank. We are still thinking of the best way to allow people to try these out.

• 222 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

You can currently set up two “Salary” budget events – one on the 15th of the month with a
                monthly repeat option, and one on the last day of the month, with a monthly
                repeat option selected as well. This means that the running balance will
                reflect salaries paid on these two dates. As these 2 budget events have the same category, the budget period won’t be monthly but the period between the budget events.

Adding weekdays-only to the repeat options will be quite difficult and we are not sure at the moment how we could do this. We understand that many users would like to use the weekdays-only option, so we will continue to look into this and we will let you know.

• allow attachments to be added to transactions, such as receipts

I would like to be able to attach a copy of my tax invoice or receipt to the relevant transaction.

177 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  started  ·  Jayson HoogeveenJayson Hoogeveen responded

We now started working on adding this feature. You can see what we have planned on our Roadmap at http://psmth.to/z4.

Thanks to everyone that voted for this idea.

Initially this will be simple file uploader, that will allow you to upload files for a transaction, such as receipts or any other documents that are relevant to the transaction.

Once we have the file uploader implemented, we may look at integration with other services, such as Dropbox, Google Drive or Evernote if there is enough demand.

• Credit Card Payoff

My credit card bill comes due every 15th, and I pay it off in full every month, though the amount varies. It would be amazing to set up a recurring event which is tied to the amount of an account.

ie
                  Transfer Event
                  February 15
                  Repeats Monthly
                  From Checking to American Express
                  Amount - 100% of American Express Account
                  Category - Credit Card Payment

164 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Offset mortgages

It would be great if there was a facility to deal with offset mortgages.

Currently I have both 'savings' and 'current' accounts linked against my mortage, but those types of accounts are already grouped independently in pocketsmith. (ie I have a current account group for budgets of day to day spending, and a savings group for planning savings across all savings accounts).

However, the balances from the accounts linked to my mortgage all contribute together towards saving interest against my mortgage, and consequently, it is hard to demonstrate that all in PocketSmith.

I currently have a calendar for the mortgage,…

164 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Our team have discussed how to support offset mortgages but it seems like these are treated differently by different banks. Some have just 1 account with different balances, while others have multiple accounts. This makes it hard to develop this improvement.

It would be great if you can provide examples of how your offset mortgages are laid out by your bank, including how they deal with different accounts, balances and transactions. These extra details will help us with developing this feature.

• Have accounts in multiple currencies

I'm currently living in India, but my bank accounts are all still in Australian Dollars.

I'd like to start a cash account to track my spending here (I'm finding it harder to keep track of), but I can't have multiple currencies.

152 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        beta  ·  Jayson HoogeveenJayson Hoogeveen responded

We have just released an update to the graphs, so that they now convert all currencies to the base currency of your PocketSmith account. Read more at http://psmth.to/5p.

We are still working on the other planned multi-currency features, so that we have full support for multi-currencies shortly.

You can find out about the current state of multi-currency in PocketSmith at http://psmth.to/qP.

• Printable reports of transactions by category

We've had a couple of requests for PocketSmith to export income/expense reports of transactions by category for tax purposes.

A report would iterate through selected categories for a date range, and list a category's transactions by date, merchant and amount - along with its total.

Would this feature be of use to you, and what else would you like to see in it to make it useful to you? :-)

136 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for all the votes and comments.

We now have this planned and on our Roadmap at http://psmth.to/AR.

If there are any other reports or exports that you would like to see in PocketSmith, please add the idea to the Feedback Forum.

• Explicit support for Cash accounting

Love the product, but there's one big gap: Managing my cash spending. Here's what I would value:

1) An account type specifically dedicated to cash transactions
                          2) The ability to automatically credit that account using Transfer when (for example) a Cash Withdrawal is detected in a Banking account.
                          3) A simple mobile app to help me to capture cash spending (single screen for fast data entry, using Merchants and Categories already created). Or a dedicated screen on the Mobile web version.
                          4) A similarly easy way to enter cash transactions on the main site.

133 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

We are planning to make it easier to create cash accounts. This is on our Roadmap at http://psmth.to/Os.

Please add your votes and any comments, if you would like to see the other cash ideas added to PocketSmith.

• Allow creation of forecasted budgets from transaction information

Starting off with a new account, I have a large number of transactions, but no events or budgets in the calendar forecast.

The Personal Summary gives me an "Add to calendar" button, which allows creating an an event based on transaction averages.

But, I'd like to be able to access and set up budgets from a list format, allowing one-click-creation budgets based on averages

131 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              started  ·  Jayson HoogeveenJayson Hoogeveen responded

We are currently working on an automatic forecasting feature. This will create budgets from your categorised transactions.

You can see what we have planned for automatic forecasting on our Roadmap at http://psmth.to/J7.

• Allow for envelope budgeting.

I have been using a combo of gCal (a financial calendar where I note financial events that correspond to schedule events, like $46 out on the day of my doc appt.), mVelopes (so I can put $ aside for certain things and not just look at my total balance and have no clue where that total needs to go), and IndyBudget (So I can look ahead and see a projected balance for any given day to help me plan better.) PocketSmith is eliminating the need for gCal and IndyBudget for me-having it also have the envelope capability would mean I'd…

118 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Integrate with Sharesight to implement investment functionality

Rather than re-invent the wheel when it comes to investments, how about integrating with Sharesight.

108 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Show split transactions as part of its parent transaction

I would like it if after I split a transaction, they are shown to be part of the original parent transaction. This isn't currently the case, which can be a bit confusing.

For example, if I have a day with a lot of bank account activity and I split one of the transactions, it is hard to know which are the two that belong together - especially if you can't rely on the merchant to make the connection.

I've taken the liberty of mocking this up - hope it's not too forward of me ;)

(There may be another wishlist…

104 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

We don’t have grouping split transactions with the parent transaction planned just yet.

But in the meantime we will be fixing an issue with the order of split transactions. At the moment the split transactions may not be displayed next to the original transaction. Especially if there are many transactions on that date. This fix will make sure that split transactions are shown next to the original transaction. This is on our Roadmap at http://psmth.to/Xe

• Archive old/unused accounts

So that those accounts you don't use anymore are still on the system and the data is kept and accessible, but so that they don't show on your account lists/update emails etc

103 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

You can currently group accounts together into an archive group, so that the transactions are kept. There is an article in the knowledge base at http://psmth.to/UK that explains how this is done.

If you don’t like the current solution for archiving accounts by grouping, please add your comments about why this is the case.

• Copy or clone account and/or calendar for what-if scenarios

Be able to shallow copy / clone an account and/or calendar to play around with schedules or transactions.

Will enable back-up like systems when making adjustments or wanting to test different scenarios. Also allows people to test out the influence significant changes in circumstances has on their finances (e.g. moving to a new city for a different job).

It should copy an account (and so, linked calendar), it's scheduled budgets and payments, and all historical transactions and their assignments. These duplicated accounts should not be linked to their relevant live feed accounts (and so, will not update with new transactions),…

99 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • This site is brilliant but would benefits from better graphing rollups and better links

I have set up 8 calendars (debt, savings and general). Currently the only view I can get is cumulative. It would be pretty cool to be able to view different charts without resorting to excel:

1) Specify date ranges
                                        2) Show calendars as different lines on the graph - I realise cumulative is the important bit)
                                        3) Pie charts showing defined categories
                                        4) Cashflow statement to be organized by calendar for readability
                                        5) clicking on an amount for a month in cash-flow view taking you to that position in the calendar

Joe

94 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

We do currently have plans to improve the forecast graph and links within PocketSmith.

We have an improvement for choosing the dates on the forecast graph at http://psmth.to/Jc.

We have just released with the new Bank Statements page, links from the Dashboard graph and from Cashflows.

• Add keyboard navigation (transaction lists)

If you've ever used keyboard navigation in Gmail for a week or two, you know what a difference this can make!

In the transaction list, I can move the selected row up and down using the arrow keys. But I can't *do* anything ... I would love if I could (say) hit ENTER to select that transaction, C to begin categorising, ...

94 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)