PocketSmith Web

How can we improve PocketSmith?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Roll-over budgeting

It would be great to have the option of an aggregate budget of month/week/fortnight expenses. For example clothing. Some months I buy over budget but the few months previous I may have bought nothing. It will show as over budget despite it being under the yearly budget. It would be great to have an option to roll over 'left over' or 'overspend' budgets to the next month/week/fortnight.

586 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Thank you all for the responses so far.

We’re working on a fundamental change to forecasting which will get us closer to making this feature a reality.

The forecasting algorithm will soon exclude unspent amounts from your projections. This means that a scheduled budget that has passed will not ‘disappear’ when your current balances take over.

Instead, PocketSmith will show you a ‘safe to spend’ balance at present day, which is your current balance less unspent amounts in your current budgets.

This change will result in more accurate projections, particularly for users whose budgets begin at the start of a month.

It also gets us another step closer to roll-over budgeting, as the next step from here would entail making the unspent amounts accrue.

Engineering aside, we’re working to reconcile the principle that consistently staying under budget improves your future outlook, with the feedback we’re getting here. Secondly, we need…

• Link both transfer transactions together

It would be useful to have the transfer transactions in each of the accounts affected be matched together, thus avoiding need to categorise each of the transactions manually and also for them to be grouped together on the Transactions page.

439 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

This feature is reliant upon some work we need to do around creating a unified system for transfers within PocketSmith, as currently users can determine both categories and transactions as transfers. We haven’t added this as a planned feature to the roadmap yet as we need to investigate further, but we will update the status of this idea as we make progress.

• Trial of the paid plans

Just wanted to tell you guys that your site and service seem really great. I like the overall polish, and while the online reviews of the site are scant, they have been all positive.

I am a Mint.com user and dissatisfied with the lack of projection tools on their end. I simply don't know how better off financially I will be in 12 months from now with them.

Having said that, and I apologize for my wordy email, I would encourage you guys to consider offering a free 30-day premium account to users when they sign up. I think you…

240 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

You can currently create a Free account and try out PocketSmith. But this is limited by the number of accounts and doesn’t include Bank Feeds

The main reason for a trial of the Premium plan is to see if the Bank Feeds work for your bank. We are still thinking of the best way to allow people to try these out.

• 222 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

You can currently set up two “Salary” budget events – one on the 15th of the month with a
            monthly repeat option, and one on the last day of the month, with a monthly
            repeat option selected as well. This means that the running balance will
            reflect salaries paid on these two dates. As these 2 budget events have the same category, the budget period won’t be monthly but the period between the budget events.

Adding weekdays-only to the repeat options will be quite difficult and we are not sure at the moment how we could do this. We understand that many users would like to use the weekdays-only option, so we will continue to look into this and we will let you know.

• Offset mortgages

It would be great if there was a facility to deal with offset mortgages.

Currently I have both 'savings' and 'current' accounts linked against my mortage, but those types of accounts are already grouped independently in pocketsmith. (ie I have a current account group for budgets of day to day spending, and a savings group for planning savings across all savings accounts).

However, the balances from the accounts linked to my mortgage all contribute together towards saving interest against my mortgage, and consequently, it is hard to demonstrate that all in PocketSmith.

I currently have a calendar for the mortgage,…

164 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Our team have discussed how to support offset mortgages but it seems like these are treated differently by different banks. Some have just 1 account with different balances, while others have multiple accounts. This makes it hard to develop this improvement.

It would be great if you can provide examples of how your offset mortgages are laid out by your bank, including how they deal with different accounts, balances and transactions. These extra details will help us with developing this feature.

• Allow for envelope budgeting.

I have been using a combo of gCal (a financial calendar where I note financial events that correspond to schedule events, like $46 out on the day of my doc appt.), mVelopes (so I can put $ aside for certain things and not just look at my total balance and have no clue where that total needs to go), and IndyBudget (So I can look ahead and see a projected balance for any given day to help me plan better.) PocketSmith is eliminating the need for gCal and IndyBudget for me-having it also have the envelope capability would mean I'd…

118 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Integrate with Sharesight to implement investment functionality

Rather than re-invent the wheel when it comes to investments, how about integrating with Sharesight.

108 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Show split transactions as part of its parent transaction

I would like it if after I split a transaction, they are shown to be part of the original parent transaction. This isn't currently the case, which can be a bit confusing.

For example, if I have a day with a lot of bank account activity and I split one of the transactions, it is hard to know which are the two that belong together - especially if you can't rely on the merchant to make the connection.

I've taken the liberty of mocking this up - hope it's not too forward of me ;)

(There may be another wishlist…

104 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

We don’t have grouping split transactions with the parent transaction planned just yet.

But in the meantime we will be fixing an issue with the order of split transactions. At the moment the split transactions may not be displayed next to the original transaction. Especially if there are many transactions on that date. This fix will make sure that split transactions are shown next to the original transaction. This is on our Roadmap at http://psmth.to/Xe

• Copy or clone account and/or calendar for what-if scenarios

Be able to shallow copy / clone an account and/or calendar to play around with schedules or transactions.

Will enable back-up like systems when making adjustments or wanting to test different scenarios. Also allows people to test out the influence significant changes in circumstances has on their finances (e.g. moving to a new city for a different job).

It should copy an account (and so, linked calendar), it's scheduled budgets and payments, and all historical transactions and their assignments. These duplicated accounts should not be linked to their relevant live feed accounts (and so, will not update with new transactions),…

99 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Add keyboard navigation (transaction lists)

If you've ever used keyboard navigation in Gmail for a week or two, you know what a difference this can make!

In the transaction list, I can move the selected row up and down using the arrow keys. But I can't *do* anything ... I would love if I could (say) hit ENTER to select that transaction, C to begin categorising, ...

94 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Allow Sorting and Exporting of Income/Expense Report

The new Income/Expense Report should have the ability to sort the order of the categories (currently the sort order appears rather haphazard). Alphabetical and/or customizeable sort order would be great for tax purposes. Additionally, exporting of the report to CSV, and other formats would be very useful come Tax time as well.

79 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Ability to Customize Dashboard "Widgets"

The dashboard could benefit from either a new design or the ability to customize where each section/widget appears.

For example, the feature I find the most useful is "Your active budgets," yet this is displayed in the last place one looks on the screen (bottom-right). Conversely, :Your bank accounts" and "Your calendars" tend to display the same information to me.. because my calendars ARE my accounts. This is displayed in the most prominent place on the dashboard page but to me, it is not very important at all.

In its current state the dashboard is just not relevant to me.…

73 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Ability to change the day of the month interest is applied

Currently if you give an account an interest rate (for example a credit card) it automatically adds interest on the last day of the month.

My credit card however has interest applied on a different day every month (the 15th then 16th then 17th etc), what would be great is if you could move it around in that month just like any transaction (though of course you wouldn't be able to edit the transaction itself)

54 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Investment account live feeds: track separate holdings and share transactions

At the moment, PocketSmith tracks overall investment accounts from live bank feeds, and displays the total monetary value of the investment account.

However it does not track the individual holdings within an investment account, nor display the individual investment transactions that occur within the account.

Ideally, PocketSmith should be able to process this additional holding information, and display it meaningfully within the overall investment account that is currently displayed. Investment transactions should also appear somehow within the main Transactions view of the application for the investment account.

51 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Be able to configure instant email alerts when I've gone over budget

I'd like to be able to configure instant email alerts when I've gone over budget in a category, or a warning that I'm about to. Also I'd like to get email alerts when my account balance hits certain user configurable levels.

49 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Automating transfers to a manual transaction account

It would be very useful if transfers between accounts could be automated with actual transactions in the same way they are with budgeted events - that is, when you enter or edit an actual bank statement item and mark it as a transfer, you get a drop-down box which allows you to select another account to transfer the money to/from and a corresponding event appears in the other account. I do a fair bit of transferring between accounts and this would save me a lot of time to have this feature.

45 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Investment/Portfolio and Loans

Hi,

I'm a MS money user. Even after all the years, I'm still using the application as I haven't found any other application that does all that I want out of MS Money.

2 More areas that if you include should complete the picture for me.

1) Loans/Mortgage account and calculator. I should be able to enter in a loan amount, number of years, interest rates (or either of the 2) and this should be calculated for me into monthly payments with breakouts of principle vs interest repayments. It should also automatically be deducted from an account so that I…

45 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Some of these will be included with the upcoming Net Worth update. You can find out about this on our Trello Roadmap at https://trello.com/c/RlDruW8P

We will discuss the further ideas with the team and see if it is possible for us to implement.

• Add a repeat rule for each Xth weekday of the month

For example, I pay my rent each first Thursday of the month.

41 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Earning and Spending graph for individual master categories

Now that subcategories are inplace it would be great to be able to have a more specialised view on Earning and Spending graphs.. Currently it is very difficult to understand my money usage using the graph. When I have a master category such as "Weekly Expenses" It would be great to see my weekly expenditure on food, entertainment and etc without seeing all the other information such as bills, mortgage, rates etc.

I believe the ability to specialise the graph to certain parent categories would make it alot more useful and easier to understand.

39 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the idea. We don’t have this planned at the moment.

Please vote for this idea, if this is a feature you want. The number of votes an idea has, helps us to plan future features

We are planning to update how budgets are shown. You can see what we have planned on our Roadmap at http://psmth.to/sv.

• Printable budgets

I want to occassionally put a "stake in the ground" with my family and show them where we are starting and what our goal is for the month. If you had a printable format that I could print out and post on the refrigerator, that would be awesome as well. For the time being the only solution I have is to buy a tablet computer and put that up on the refrigerator, which would be a cool solution, but a bit expensive for the general population perhaps?

38 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the idea. We don’t have any plans at the moment to increase the printing functionality.

If you would like this feature, please add your votes. The number of votes an idea has, helps us to plan future features.

← Previous 1 3

PocketSmith Web

Feedback and Knowledge Base