PocketSmith Web

How can we improve PocketSmith?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Allow me to mark which items or bills have cleared / paid and which have not

Individual occurrences of items / forecast events in the calendar should be able to be marked as paid, or "cleared".

Problem: if I have a car payment that is due around the 15th, but there is a weekend and it clears on the 13th, the forecast still takes it out of the balance on the 15th.

The way it should work is that I mark off the items that are paid (associate a scheduled bill with a cleared transaction), and the forecast shows me my actual balance minus the uncleared scheduled bills.

Likewise for bills, as I go and pay…

295 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      planned  ·  Jayson HoogeveenJayson Hoogeveen responded

We have this planned and on our Roadmap at http://psmth.to/N4, as part of the Bills & Income feature.

We have some other features and improvements that we are currently working on, so we don’t have a timeframe for when we will be able to release this at the moment.

• Credit Card Payoff

My credit card bill comes due every 15th, and I pay it off in full every month, though the amount varies. It would be amazing to set up a recurring event which is tied to the amount of an account.

ie
      Transfer Event
      February 15
      Repeats Monthly
      From Checking to American Express
      Amount - 100% of American Express Account
      Category - Credit Card Payment

164 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Printable reports of transactions by category

We've had a couple of requests for PocketSmith to export income/expense reports of transactions by category for tax purposes.

A report would iterate through selected categories for a date range, and list a category's transactions by date, merchant and amount - along with its total.

Would this feature be of use to you, and what else would you like to see in it to make it useful to you? :-)

136 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for all the votes and comments.

We now have this planned and on our Roadmap at http://psmth.to/AR.

If there are any other reports or exports that you would like to see in PocketSmith, please add the idea to the Feedback Forum.

• Explicit support for Cash accounting

Love the product, but there's one big gap: Managing my cash spending. Here's what I would value:

1) An account type specifically dedicated to cash transactions
          2) The ability to automatically credit that account using Transfer when (for example) a Cash Withdrawal is detected in a Banking account.
          3) A simple mobile app to help me to capture cash spending (single screen for fast data entry, using Merchants and Categories already created). Or a dedicated screen on the Mobile web version.
          4) A similarly easy way to enter cash transactions on the main site.

133 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

We are planning to make it easier to create cash accounts. This is on our Roadmap at http://psmth.to/Os.

Please add your votes and any comments, if you would like to see the other cash ideas added to PocketSmith.

• This site is brilliant but would benefits from better graphing rollups and better links

I have set up 8 calendars (debt, savings and general). Currently the only view I can get is cumulative. It would be pretty cool to be able to view different charts without resorting to excel:

1) Specify date ranges
            2) Show calendars as different lines on the graph - I realise cumulative is the important bit)
            3) Pie charts showing defined categories
            4) Cashflow statement to be organized by calendar for readability
            5) clicking on an amount for a month in cash-flow view taking you to that position in the calendar

Joe

94 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

We do currently have plans to improve the forecast graph and links within PocketSmith.

We have an improvement for choosing the dates on the forecast graph at http://psmth.to/Jc.

We have just released with the new Bank Statements page, links from the Dashboard graph and from Cashflows.

• Passed and checked events change color

Passed and checked events should change color or have a some type mark on the forecast calendar so it's more easy to control what events happened what event's are still missing.

35 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Admin →
              • Budgets, Bills, and Income should be separated and look different.

The application you have created and continue to improve is nothing short of a miracle for my finances; I use it on a near daily basis and will likely do so for a long time to come.

One of the parts of your app that I have difficulty with is the Personal Summary. This page has so much potential and is so very important for tracking your budgets, bills and income, but it is very difficult to get a quick overview when all of these items are represented the same way.

Bills should not have gauges. They do not "fill…

24 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Mark New Auto-Imported transactions for Confirmation

It's quite difficult to establish which transactions have been newly added since my last visit, and therefore which transactions need to be checked for correct categorisation.

What I'd love is some sort of mark to help me establish which transactions have been confirmed, and which require attention.

The implementation could be similar to Xero's reconciliation page, but maybe with some sort of bulk check-box to "confirm all" as well.

19 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the idea. We do have this planned as a new feature now. You can see what we have planned for this on our Roadmap at http://psmth.to/2M.

This will likely be in the form of a separate confirmation page, before you go to the Bank Statements page.

• Allow events to be scheduled/edited/added directly from Cashflow window.

Edit cashflows for specific items right from the cash flow window. To be able to open the edit event window from here would be great!

17 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Admin →
                    • Roll-up & drill-down of categories on the Income & Expense Statement

Just some feeback on the Income and Expense Statement/Process
                      I wanted to see my total Personal Income and expenditure for the year. I valued that by the Category Hiearchy i had in place. The Income and Expenses Statement got me very Close - but i still had to export all transactions for a period and do the work in Excel. These are the few items i missed that caused the need to export.
                      - Ability to exclude Transfers (maybe a tick box on the report & refresh
                      - ability to exclude some categories - eg i have an investment that…

16 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. You can now hide categories on the Income & Expense statement and this will include transfer categories. We have a knowledge base article at http://psmth.to/wY that explains how to hide categories.

We don’t yet support roll-up & drill-down reporting of sub-categories but this is planned for all areas of PocketSmith and is the most popular idea in our Feedback Forum at http://psmth.to/i2.

• Cashflow view - expandable/Collapsable categories

Currently the Cashflow table is too big if we have a lot of categories/subcategories.

Allowing the user to hide (not ignore) or/and collapse/expend parent categories would simplify alot this table for better reading.

15 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the idea. We currently have an update to the ‘Cashflows’ page planned and on our Roadmap at http://psmth.to/KX.

The ability to expand and collapse categories is part of this planned update.

• Make the transaction graph act like the forecast graph(Pie)

Forecast pie graph is nice, but forecast sometime doesn't reflect the reality, that's why the should be a pie graph for the transaction too, so this way we could see our real money spending part.

13 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
                          • Add Past Forecast Event Reconcile

Once a forecast event has past, change the amount to reflect the amount actually spent. I find that the forecast is a very helpful tool that loses some relevance as soon as spending doesn't match the forecast. Unless I misunderstand something. How do I know I won't overdraft my account this week if the forecast balance is not calculated off of my actual current balance? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

12 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

We have a upcoming feature called Bills & Income that will allow transactions to be reconciled to particular budget events. You can find out more about Bills & Income on our Roadmap at http://psmth.to/N4.

• Add lowest calendar balance to email

I would like to see my lowest calendar balance for a defined time in my daily email. For example, I would personally like to see the lowest balance my calendar projects for the next four months. I use this number to know how much money outside of my budget I can spend.

For example, if my calendar's lowest point over the next four months is $1,000, I know I can safely overspend by about $60/week.

12 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Help? managing debts - wizards and more assistance

I think your new version of Pocketsmith is an improvment on the previous version. Its clearer, and easier to use. The best new feature I think is the cashflow table. However, the site is now absent of any help or wizards. I gave the last version of the website two serious trys before deciding the features pocketsmith lacked meant I was better off sticking with a spreadsheet. I hope I can get enough out of the new version to replace most if not all of my spreadsheet.

A feature I would like to see, and as far as I can…

12 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  planned  ·  Jason LeongJason Leong responded

You’re right, and we’ve finally got plans to be solving this in the near future.

The upcoming new version of the application is going to allow us better ability to present different wizards to people.

Up until now, the hardest part of all this was that in a wizard, the user had to grapple with multiple “weird” concepts – calendars, events, accounts, etc.

The upcoming version will have a strong default of everything being account-centric. This means that when you set up a wizard for your debt, you’re attaching it to an actual account which has a balance, and forecasting it out from there. This means we can present the user with a greatly simplified interface for setting this sort of standard scenario up.

So, definitely a long time coming, but the improvements we’re making leads into a proper wizard type system nicely :)

Thanks for your patience!
                                  - James

• Cashflow headings and category labels

It would be very helpful to keep the column and row headings fixed or static so that when scrolling through cashflows the user is always able to see the heading labels (Months) and row descriptions (Category Labels).

10 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Access transactions via cash flow page

In Xero Personal, they display the various months in columns, showing the income and expenditure. Each category total for that month (i.e. food, rates etc) is displayed and can be clicked-on and it takes you to the transactions for that category for that month.
                                    It would be great if you could do that in PocketSmith and the most obvious place would be in the Cash Flow page. I was comparing Feb & March in the cash flow page and it would of been great to see what made me spend so much in a certain category in Feb. Being able…

10 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the idea. We have an update planned for the ‘Cashflows’ page and on our Roadmap at http://psmth.to/KX.

The ability to click within the statement and be taken to the transactions on the ‘Bank Statements’ page is planned.

• 7 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add weekly view to Cashflows

It'd be great if the Cashflows page could be switched to a weekly view, with each columns representing weeks instead of months, based on the week start and end displayed in the calendar.

7 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Allow debt calendars to compound daily

Interest on some debts compound daily. It would be nice to be able to more accurately reflect this in forecasts.

7 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the idea. We are not able to calculate the daily interest at the moment due to many calculations that would be needed. These calculations would slow down PocketSmith dramatically.

We are planning to update how the interest is calculated, based on the average daily balance for the month. You can see this planned on our Roadmap at http://psmth.to/0S.

← Previous 1

PocketSmith Web

Feedback and Knowledge Base