PocketSmith Web

How can we improve PocketSmith?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Allow budgeting on parent categories to aggregate sub-categories

The usefulness of the application would be enhanced if it were possible to dig further into categories, by providing sub-categorization for transactions within an overall category.

The main category would be able to be added to the calendar as a forecast event, but the sub-categories would be able to be used for further spending analysis.

643 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Account sharing - multiple users for one account

Multiple users for one bank account / calendar, with both read-only and full-edit capabilities on a per-account basis.

Example 1: a husband and wife each have their own private PocketSmith accounts, but have an account they'd like to be shared to both PocketSmith accounts.

Example 2: for company and shops, so that employers can help entering daily cash flows as it happens.

165 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • 121 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          completed  ·  Jason LeongJason Leong responded

Hello everyone,

Many of you may know this already, but live Bank Feeds is now up and running in PocketSmith, provided through industry leader Yodlee (http://psmth.to/y).

We’ve been running in beta for a while now and things are very stable. We currently support US, UK, Australian, Canadian and NZ based account.

Thanks again for your patience, any questions please drop us a line to contact@pocketsmith.com!

- James

• Android App

Obviously, an Android App in the near future would help validate the costs of the service. The ability to have financial prediction and status on-the-go is a NEED!

114 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks everyone for your patience while we built out the first cut of PocketSmith Mobile!

We’ve now launched, and the app is available to all our users during the alpha stage at https://mobile.pocketsmith.com.

You can read more information on our introductory blog post here: http://wiki.pocketsmith.com/Product_Blog:Updates/PocketSmith_Mobile_Public_Alpha_Release, and see the roadmap here: http://wiki.pocketsmith.com/PocketSmith_Mobile_Alpha_-_Roadmap_and_Issues.

Thanks again, we look forward to hearing what you all think :)

- James

• manage transfers between accounts

currently my transfers between accounts are marked as income.

Admin addition: addressing ability to split out uploaded transactions with user-selected generic names (e.g. 'Transfer') and reassign new names. Income / expense transactions of same name separated. Allow separate assignment to forecast events.

81 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Categories/labels

Allow transactions to be labelled, e.g. "groceries", "books" etc so that the pie chart shows expenditure by category rather than by payee (e.g. I spend money with several providers of books and they are split in to separate wedges. But I want to see how much I spend on "books" as a whole.

75 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Much of this issue has been resolved with the launch of v2 last November – categorization has now been abstracted from the creation of forecast events.

This means that transactions can be categorized without adding anything to the Calendar. The next stage for this is to allow subcategories to be used effectively – see here: http://pocketsmith.uservoice.com/forums/107741/suggestions/2459209

Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate your patience while we worked through this. Be great to hear any comments you have!

All the best,
                - James

• Forecast vs Actual in cashflow statement

In the cashflow statement, add extra colums that show the actual spend of that specific month next to the forecast activity.

60 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Admin →

Happy to say with the release of PocketSmith v2.5, this has now been solved!

The cashflow has been rebuilt, and now also features an extended “Cashflow settings” feature which allows you to further customise the way you’d like your cashflow to display – including having Actual columns alongside your Forecast columns.

Happy to finally release this feature! We appreciate your patience; if it has been a while since you’ve used the application, we invite you to come back and check us out :)

Let us know if you have any questions!

- James

• Forecast Balance Graph Needs More Granularity, Different Default Views

I really like the way you're taking aim at Quicken, but I'm still really missing the ability to easily see *daily* balances in the forecast graph. The whole point of the graph for me is to be able to see at a glance whether the balance will approach or drop below zero at any point in the coming month or so. Also, when I am working with an account where the balance rarely rises above $2000, displaying the ability to graph amounts up to amounts up to $15,000 only wastes space, flattens out the graph unnecessarily, and makes it less…

55 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve improved the resolution on the forecast graph, and it now displays daily balances for the month ahead, reducing to weekly points thereafter. The original points were set weekly due to performance considerations (time taken to calculate and display) but we’ll continue to improve on this as we being to roll out further updates to the new UI.

• Personal Financial Statement

A financial statement is an xray into your life. A simple one page printable PDF or editable page would be a useful in determining at that moment where you are financially. Like any accountant would use to critique your business, a personal Financial statement does the same for your personal finances

55 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Tagging Transactions

I'd like to be able to tag transactions such as - local store, chain store, travel etc and also be able to see these tags on self selected graphs. That way I can see what I spend when I travel or how local my purchases are (great for locavores).

Whilst sub categories can be created they can only be assigned to a parent category - so for example i run 3 cars , and run 3 motoring categories, Petrol, Loan and Service. I would like to add the car name to each category as it arises - So, if I…

49 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        completed  ·  Jayson HoogeveenJayson Hoogeveen responded

We have just released labels (tags) for transactions. You can find out more on our announcement post at http://psmth.to/BA.

At the moment you can just label transactions. Once we release the updated ‘Bank Statements’ page, you will be able to create reports based on the labels.

• Don't count transfers as income or expenses in cashflow statement

It skews the numbers. A transfer is not new income or an expense. It's just moving the funds around. I know it equals out in the end but I want to be able to see what my real forecasted income and expenses are.

36 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

You can hide a category on the Cashflows page, such as a transfer category and it won’t be included in the totals. We have a knowledge base article at http://psmth.to/r6 that explains how to hide a category on the cashflow statement.

If you don’t want a category to show on other areas of PocketSmith, see the knowledge base article at http://psmth.to/IO.

• Refunds and rebates should attach to an expense category (rather than making a new income category)

PocketSmith handles rebates and refunds in an unusual way. For example if I go to the doctor and pay $80 for a consultation and I categorise it as a "Medical Expense". I then receive a $35 rebate from the government and categorise that as a "Medical Expense" PocketSmith makes a new income category for "Medical Expense" rather than making a 'deposit' into the expense category. I'd like to attribute the rebate to the expense category so it reduces my expenditure in that category and makes budgeting easier.
                          The same can be said of refunds from stores. If I return an…

35 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            completed  ·  JamesJames responded

Happy to say that this feature was released last month. Read more at http://psmth.to/bb. Thanks for your patience while this was built out!

- James

• Managing Loans and debt

I wondered if it would be possible to build a separate graph/section to upload the credit card, loans, mortgage debt statements and have the facility within this section to “play” with your debt. Perhaps a facility to see potential savings in interest and time if you increase the monthly repayment, or pay a lump sum or a combination? This data could be outside of the spending graphs/forecasts.

34 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

You can create an account for the loans and debt you want to manage. You can then use secondary scenarios to test different payment amounts for the debt. We have a knowledge base article at http://psmth.to/PV the explains how secondary scenarios can be used.

• Change the order of accounts

I am not sure if this functionality is there but I am unable to find it. Can I change the order the accounts are displayed?

34 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

This was my idea from when I was just a user, so I am very happy to mark this idea as completed.

We have a knowledge base article at http://psmth.to/4c that will show you how you can change the order of your accounts.

• multiple transaction history uploads

Currently when you upload a new transaction history, the existing one gets replaced. It would be good if every new upload augmented rather than replaced existing data.

34 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

We have made a recent change to the file upload process, so that now by default, the previous transactions that are already imported are not deleted. More info at http://psmth.to/3P.

There is also a knowledge base article at http://psmth.to/IU with more information about the overlapping transaction options when uploading a file.

• We need an easy way to see the total budgeted for any period vs the budgeted income.

On the budget screen (or cashflow) it would be nice to see the total amount of expenses budgeted for the week/fortnight/month etc. versus the amount of income budgeted for the same period.

I suppose this info is in the cashflow summary somehow, but I'm new to this program and it's not making it very clear. In my opinion this is the very info that should be jumping from the screen on every page!

32 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

The Income & Expense statement allows you to select any date range and compare the total income vs the total expenses for your budgets and transactions.

You can find out more about the Income & Expense statement in the article at: http://psmth.to/1y

• Sum of budget items

Hi there, I'd really value seeing a total of my budget lines to give me a quick indication of whether the amounts I've budgeted are within the limits of my income (and by how much).

31 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Admin →

You can find this information on the ‘Cashflows’ page. It will show you whether you are in surplus or deficit for the month, as well as the total for your categories.

We have a knowledge base article at http://psmth.to/kp that provides an overview of the ‘Cashflows’ page.

• Add a notes field to each transaction entry

I would like to be able to add some notes to each transaction so that I can remember what was purchased or paid for.

For example: items for work or a tax return. This would mean that I could add specific information to the transaction without editing the merchant name.

30 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

You can now add notes to each transaction when editing a transaction.

We have a knowledge base article at http://psmth.to/iS that explains how you can edit a transaction, including adding notes.

• Mobile website

Pocketsmith is one of the best budget softwares i'v ever used.
                                        Only one thing is missing, an iphone app. I find myself often in a spot where i want to make the budget mods on the spot. If the app would come out this service you guys provide would be priceless.

29 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Transfer between accounts

It would be great to have an option to transfer money between accounts. to help keep all balances on track.

28 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)