How can we improve PocketSmith?

Update a filter or rule when a category is renamed

Filters that apply a category to a transaction are not linked to the category itself, but to the name of the category.

This means that if I rename a category, all rules that applies the old category will not be updated to the new one.

I would like this to change. As time goes by I'm accumulating many filters. As a user I would like to be able to rename my categories in full freedom without worrying about the new names not propagating to the relevant filters.

Example:
Filter:
Showing transactions where the merchant name includes "Waitrose".
Assign category "Groceries".

If I rename the category "Groceries" into "Food", I'd like the rule to be updated accordingly. Alternatively, I'd like to see a list of affected rules that became invalid after the renaming.

24 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AlessandroAlessandro shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Team PocketSmithAdminTeam PocketSmith (Admin, PocketSmith) responded  · 

This problem has now been resolved with the updates to Category Rules released a few weeks ago.

Now, all filters and category rules will correctly refer to the updated category, after a category has been renamed.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ChrisChris commented  · 

+1, linking based on name is not ideal. I have to update 10's of rules when I change category names, not cool

• JoshuaJoshua commented  · 

Absolutely. This is a necessity.

• Sridhar DhanapalanSridhar Dhanapalan commented  · 

+1 to this. This is how Gmail works - if I update a label, all filters that use that label are automatically updated. It makes it much easier to maintain filter lists, especially as they grow.

PocketSmith Web

Feedback and Knowledge Base