How can we improve PocketSmith?

Explicit support for Cash accounting

Love the product, but there's one big gap: Managing my cash spending. Here's what I would value:

1) An account type specifically dedicated to cash transactions
2) The ability to automatically credit that account using Transfer when (for example) a Cash Withdrawal is detected in a Banking account.
3) A simple mobile app to help me to capture cash spending (single screen for fast data entry, using Merchants and Categories already created). Or a dedicated screen on the Mobile web version.
4) A similarly easy way to enter cash transactions on the main site.

133 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brendan LawlorBrendan Lawlor shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Cindy HCindy H commented  · 

I'm still shopping around for an app that can perform what Quicken can. Without manual PETTY CASH tracking, I won't have a precise expediture categories from cashwithdraws which I still do a lot. This makes PocketSmith the same as PocketBook. Why would I choose something that are so similar and one's a free app?

• Ben KBen K commented  · 

Hey there, I wanted to be able to easily add cash transactions from my mobile on the go, so I created a Tasker app to let me do so.

It pops up a dialog allowing me to enter amount, date, merchant, category, and an optional note. It then submits it to a default account (that you select the first time the task runs - I use it for my cash / wallet account)

You can use it too, you will need:

* An android phone
        * The Tasker app
        * The Autoweb app
        * The project XML (linked to from Reddit thread)

The reddit thread for it is here, feel free to post questions and feedback.
        https://www.reddit.com/r/tasker/comments/5lpa1o/submit_expense_to_pocketsmith_budgeting_app/

• Kate SparsiKate Sparsi commented  · 

Come on...surely this is an easy / simple / low cost developer fix..?

I've been using PS for a few weeks now and I have to say that I was somewhat dumbfounded that such a fundamental action as being able to credit an offline cash account from the debit of an online bank account had to be achieved in such a convoluted way.

I used MS Money for years and that product was still light years ahead of PocketSmith in dealing with multiple account transactions.

The current multiple actions PS requires of a user for every related transaction just to run and maintain a cash account (an ongoing requirement for many people) are squarely in the accounting stone age.

How do you PS peeps run your own 'cash accounting' system? I'm an expat Kiwi in the UK and I know for certain that NZ is not yet a cashless economy. I would love to be educated on how you all use PS to do this.

Failing the support previously requested for cash accounting in this thread manifesting (or at least having a firm release date) I am already preparing to cancel my PS sub and fire up a copy of Quickbooks again. NB: This basic function was 1st requested 3 years ago...

I've already dissuaded 3 others so far from using PS based on this deficiency alone... so guys there's some solid feedback for ya.

• TimTim commented  · 

How are people managing cash accounting now - create a new Offline Account and enter transactions manually?

I generally pay for everything with card so not onerous for occasional cash transactions.

• onorenoonoreno commented  · 

This is really important for some folks. I like making all my transactions by Debit card, however, my partner likes handling cash, and has better control of her spending when she does that. It needs to be something easy to handle and record. With a dedicated cash account, I can move the withdrawal to her cash account, and let her reconcile it as she has time.

• onorenoonoreno commented  · 

Expensing of Cash Withdrawals. Make this easy

• LiamLiam commented  · 

When I signed up I was surprised that this wasn't part of the core feature set. Please consider adding it in the future

• Alexey NikolaenkovAlexey Nikolaenkov commented  · 

I'm not sure whether suggested implementation would suit my needs but improvements would be great in this area. Currently PocketSmith focuses on live bank feeds however there are cases when you forced to enter everything by hand (like I do) [messy bank feeds + lots of cash flowing around].

At the same time I dont really believe that data entry process could be radically improved: you have to enter stuff manually anyways (receipt scanning is a bad idea, especially if you operate with multiple languages/simplified/handwritten receipts).

For me "abstraction" allows to reduce time I spend on data entry. For analysis and planning purposes it is sufficient to track "how much you spend on particular category". Details are not necessary in the high-level-thinking mode. Hope it helps.

• MichaelMichael commented  · 

Please, please do this! It's such a pain to have to manually enter the transactions in a cash account on the desktop. For people who use cash a lot, this is quite a problem. I know this is one of the first things pocketbook added as they realise people want to track cash transactions as simply as they do their account transactions.

It's really just a matter of being able to record cash transactions on the mobile... pretty damn simple!

Seriously, take a look at how pocketbook do it, they've got it 100% right.

• MichaelMichael commented  · 

Agreed 100%!!

I was just logging in to creating the same suggestion, but no need... you've nailed it :)

PocketSmith Web

Feedback and Knowledge Base