How can we improve PocketSmith?

Trial of the paid plans

Just wanted to tell you guys that your site and service seem really great. I like the overall polish, and while the online reviews of the site are scant, they have been all positive.

I am a Mint.com user and dissatisfied with the lack of projection tools on their end. I simply don't know how better off financially I will be in 12 months from now with them.

Having said that, and I apologize for my wordy email, I would encourage you guys to consider offering a free 30-day premium account to users when they sign up. I think you would find your site ultimately monetize greater since people are likelier to embark and commit to a site they've taken great pains and time to setup in.

In my case, while I don't mind the quarterly $25 to use your service, I don't want to fork $10 the first time only to experience issues and then regret having lost some money. And so here I find myself visiting this site I signed up for frequently, on the fence about whether to fully embark or not.

Just a thought. Keep up the great work!

240 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joe CamardaJoe Camarda shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Jayson HoogeveenJayson Hoogeveen responded  · 

You can currently create a Free account and try out PocketSmith. But this is limited by the number of accounts and doesn’t include Bank Feeds

The main reason for a trial of the Premium plan is to see if the Bank Feeds work for your bank. We are still thinking of the best way to allow people to try these out.

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

I'm wondering if Pocketsmith is a dead product (like Buxfer) as I have seen no response to this since Feb '16. I've been looking at about a dozen SaaS solutions for personal finance and not one required a credit card - or any form of payment - to sign up.

• PascalPascal commented  · 

In the same boat as the others, would love a trial before I try your service. It looks good but to sign up just to try out the features and maybe have to go through the process of cancelling seems tedious to me!

• Nick DouglasNick Douglas commented  · 

Does this cover everything that Yodlee's service makes available? You could sign up for Personal Capital, which is free, and check how it handles your bank feed. My experience is that Yodlee is all encompassing. Also, Personal Capital has a nice complementary net worth section.

• StuartStuart commented  · 

I came to this site because I'm finally fed up with spreadsheets and Xero basically said "these guys are the best alternative to what we used to offer". However, nowhere do you tell us what bank feeds you support, whether the services will offer exactly what I'm looking for. The only way for me to test the features I'm interested in (the premium ones) is to fork out money in the hope the features are there. I'm not willing to do that.

I wonder how many people are in the same boat as me but not willing to write about it on your blog? You must be missing a heck of a lot of passing trade as a result of not offering a trial - even 14 days, to check the services are what they say they are.

• Anonymous commented  · 

wont use until a meaningful trial is available. Currently seems a really old school approach

• Anonymous commented  · 

I am really tempted, but I am not committing to having my credit card auto debited while I figure out if it is right tool for me. It would probably take a month to stop the auto debit process. I think these guys know that they can make money form lifers and quite a bit from folks who try it, pay for a month and unsubscribe. Get with the times. Maybe ill try YNB they have a trial.

• JackJack commented  · 

Is this still really not implemented? The Free account is nothing like the full version - I'm not going to commit to either 1) paying for a product I don't know, or 2) manually uploading all my account data - just to find out if I like a product.

Free 30 day trail, after which the 2 account minimum kicks back in and live feeds stop working.

I'd be doing it if you did, and won't be if you don't!

Thanks!

• Anonymous commented  · 

On top of all below, not sure if this product is worth use if it doesn't give a thought about basic marketing.

• DanDan commented  · 

Any update on this? I wouldn't mind giving this a shot, but it's not logical for me to pay $10 to try it for a month if it completely bombs. The current "free account" will not really let you do anything useful, so based on that, I would not pay for the service, however, get me hooked by using a 30 day trial and I may commit long term.

• rametteperegrinerametteperegrine commented  · 

The free account is a poor indicator of the premium subscriptions performance. If I was basing my purchase on that alone I would not have purchased the product. You really need a free trial that lets people see if they can create a working budget with your system. How will people know if the transactions will be labeled properly or if they will have to go through thousands of transactions line by line (which I had to do in the free program but not the paid) How can someone tell if they like the forecasts if they only have 2 accounts? You will gain more than you lose.

• JohnJohn commented  · 

Free Trail 30 Days. Come on guys sort this please.

• Jim FJim F commented  · 

I, too, came here from Mint because forecasting is a requirement, and I didn't want to use Quicken anymore. For me, paying a month to try it out was not a huge deal, but it was a hurdle I had to get over mentally, if not fiscally. Glad I did, I stuck around.

I think most people need more than a month, tho, to finalize a commitment to a monthly charge for personal finance software. We all live by monthly cycles - a 30 day trial is not enough to experience the real power of personal finance automation. 45 days would be more appropriate.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Same here. Really want to try this out first.

• NickNick commented  · 

Any update on this? I would like to give the paid version a try. I'm coming from Qucken and mint.com doesn't have future balances. I've had issues syncing my banks with both, so really need to try out the live feeds.

PocketSmith Web

Feedback and Knowledge Base