How can we improve PocketSmith?

Roll-over budgeting

It would be great to have the option of an aggregate budget of month/week/fortnight expenses. For example clothing. Some months I buy over budget but the few months previous I may have bought nothing. It will show as over budget despite it being under the yearly budget. It would be great to have an option to roll over 'left over' or 'overspend' budgets to the next month/week/fortnight.

586 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Melanie BruceMelanie Bruce shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Jayson HoogeveenJayson Hoogeveen responded  · 

Thank you all for the responses so far.

We’re working on a fundamental change to forecasting which will get us closer to making this feature a reality.

The forecasting algorithm will soon exclude unspent amounts from your projections. This means that a scheduled budget that has passed will not ‘disappear’ when your current balances take over.

Instead, PocketSmith will show you a ‘safe to spend’ balance at present day, which is your current balance less unspent amounts in your current budgets.

This change will result in more accurate projections, particularly for users whose budgets begin at the start of a month.

It also gets us another step closer to roll-over budgeting, as the next step from here would entail making the unspent amounts accrue.

Engineering aside, we’re working to reconcile the principle that consistently staying under budget improves your future outlook, with the feedback we’re getting here. Secondly, we need to figure out a suitable UI that delivers the appropriate insights to you.

So yes, we haven’t declined this feature but neither have we progressed it as it requires a bit of thought. But we hear you, and are working on it :-)

67 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sum RenatiSum Renati commented  · 

Team, I'm afraid we are off to Buxfer as there is still no movement on the roll-over feature. I also find their UX less distracting and easier to use, however I will say I like that PocketSmith tracks Merchants / Payees (Buffer does not, unless done through multi-tagging). Please build this and take me back!

• Anonymous commented  · 

This is a make or break feature for me. We need budget roll-overs

• Ben PontingBen Ponting commented  · 

Can we have an update on this feature please? This is such a basic thing present in every other budgeting system I have looked at, and its really annoying not having it!

Thanks

• Colin FordColin Ford commented  · 

Jayson, almost 2 years since the last update to this item, and it's still the Top Idea! What's the status on this? This is the only thing preventing me from switching over entirely from YNAB...

• Anonymous commented  · 

Hello! My husband and I are reviewing PocketSmith and it looked perfect... until we saw that there is no budget rollover option. We were ready to purchase, but now there is not way we can. Our budgeting depends on rollover and monthly savings, and it appears that PocketSmith does not fit out needs simply because of that one missing feature. I hope to see it very soon! https://img.clippp.com/aa011f68d5ab8271e58cf150053868d0_5-one-jump-aladdin-costume-all-aladdin-costume-diy_2100-1750.jpeg

• AaronAaron commented  · 

Jayson-

I believe your response is not at all what the OP is looking for. I see the feature you mention in the beta stuff, and this is certainly not a budget aggregate/roll-over function.

If I put in a budget of $100 a month for something and occasionally I spend $150 and occasionally I spend $50, I want this to carryover to the next month's budget. So on a month I spend $150, my next month's budget will say $100 - $50 = $50. Only $50 in the budget to spend.

If I'm at my budget's limit on restaurants on April 29. I'm not going to tell my wife and friends "No, we have to wait until May to celebrate your promotion! Because my budgets don't rollover."

I could not believe that you still didn't have this aggregate "roll-over" function. My opinion of Pocketsmith went from "best online product" to "I should look around again". I currently have a subscription and am considering switching to something else, this is how important this is to me at least. I feel as though you have some very complicated seldom used features that fit a certain niche of people, but are lacking this bit more commonly used feature, and its pretty frustrating.

• FSFS commented  · 

Signed up last year and to be honest the most helpful feature I am seeking is the rollover budgeting. Makes so much sense when you regularly have large one off events that you want to budget for month by month. Pocketsmith is becoming less relevant for me because this is not available. Considering other options that can offer this.

• Josh FlowersJosh Flowers commented  · 

So excited for Pocketsmith -- until...no Rollover. That's huge to my family. Please get even a basic function to accommodate this -- or a work around?

• Kendon BellKendon Bell commented  · 

If UI is the big issue, I'd just copy whatever Mint/Buxfer does.

• Kendon BellKendon Bell commented  · 

This is a big thing missing in Pocketsmith. Buxfer and Mint both have this.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Hello! My husband and I are reviewing PocketSmith and it looked perfect... until we saw that there is no budget rollover option. We were ready to purchase, but now there is not way we can. Our budgeting depends on rollover and monthly savings, and it appears that PocketSmith does not fit out needs simply because of that one missing feature. I hope to see it very soon!

• Anonymous commented  · 

roll overing would be awesome - or a drawn down

• Jarod AvilaJarod Avila commented  · 

Pocketsmithers - can we please get an update on this? Tracking is great and all, but budgeting doesn't work for me until you solve this. It's been 16 months since you last said anything on it. Surely time for an update....

• Nicholas CessacNicholas Cessac commented  · 

My wife and I have several budget items that we try to save up a little ever month for an annual expense (like paying for Pocketsmith or saving up for a home renovation project). There are workarounds, but it would be extremely helpful to have the ability to make a budget item accrue costs.

• Matt McGrathMatt McGrath commented  · 

Would love to see this feature too, please!

• AnnaAnna commented  · 

Any update on this feature? Just re-starting with pocketsmith - and this is a must have.

• Shawn CraneShawn Crane commented  · 

Hi guys, for me it is not really the ability to 'stay under budget' each month that is the issue. It is more the ability to pre-plan and to attribute funds for long term expenses.

A simple example would be an insurance premium of $600 annually. I would like the ability to budget $50 each month to cover it. That $50 will be removed from my 'Safe To Spend' each month. I realise that so far this can already be done in the current system... But then at the end of the 12 months I would like to clearly see that I have 'saved' the required $600 for the premium.

A more complex example would be presents. We have birthday's over the course of the year with a glut in July. I would like to be able to allocate a set amount each month, even in Mar/Apr/May when there are no birthdays, as I know there will be a big cost in July. Then in July when we are out shopping we can easily check our budget to see exactly what funds we have available to spend, and this can be adjusted as we shop (sorry for the last person we buy for! =P )

That last scenario is really the Use Case I would use with roll-over budgeting.

Given that this request has over 20% more votes than the next request, can we get it on the roadmap please.

• Matthew DavisMatthew Davis commented  · 

Coming over from Mint, this was a nice feature they had in their budgeting section.

• PaulinePauline commented  · 

I've been a YNAB user for many years & have found rollover budgeting to be really useful. It allows me to set aside an amount each month towards meeting a non-monthly bill. This helps with utilities like power or house rates, with car registration etc. Is Pocketsmith likely to introduce this feature?

← Previous 1 3 4

PocketSmith Web

Feedback and Knowledge Base