How can we improve PocketSmith?

iPhone and Android App

I realise there's a web-based verson of Pocketsmith, but I'd find it really valuable to have an application that I can use offline as well as online. (I have an iPod Touch, and if I don't have internet then and there when I incur an expense, PS online isn't any use to me.)

What I'd particularly like to see is a mobile app that offers push notifications such as the desktop notifications that I suggested in this (https://pocketsmith.uservoice.com/forums/107741-pocketsmith/suggestions/5131944-desktop-notifications) post.

Although you have a current web app, naturally this can't deliver notifications to the phone so I think a native app would be great (also the web app is a bit slow and doesn't seem to have been worked on in a while?) I would actually be happy if there were an app that did nothing else but act as a service for the above notifications. However, if you are able to, I'd like one with the following features:

- Some kind of dashboard with pertinent information, like on the current desktop web app
- View scenario forecasts as per current mobile web app
- View bank account transactions and balances as per current mobile web app
- Categorise transactions (so that I can do it straight away when they are still fresh in my mind)
- Add manual transactions (which would then be automatically matched with incoming bank feed items using criteria such as amount, type, and name)
- View a selected list of budgets, so that I can think to myself 'hmm, I want to spend x - I wonder how much I have left in that budget. I best go and check'.
- View this months total income/expenditure. Perhaps the last couple of months cash-flow report as per desktop web app.

YNAB, another budgeting software app, have this brilliant feature where by you instantly detail transactions on the spot. i.e. I'm at the petrol station and I just handed cash to the teller to pay for petrol. I open the app and create a new transaction in the spend section which categorises my transaction instantly. This would compliment the native app that you guy's will build soon.

314 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Linda PattersonLinda Patterson shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    beta  ·  Jayson HoogeveenJayson Hoogeveen responded  · 

The PocketSmith companion mobile app is now in public beta, which means it’s available for everyone to download and test. The app is available for iOS and Android, and will let you quickly categorize transactions and view your account balances. You can also view and edit transactions. Learn more at https://psmth.to/mobile.

If you have any ideas for the mobile apps, please share these in our mobile Feedback Forum at http://psmth.to/ffmobile

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MarkMark commented  · 

Gotta say, guys; I'm disappointed...
        This thread has been open since 2010? That's decades in tech-time. It's not like we're building the LHC here; it's just a mobile app. I have available to me one for nearly everything but this critical service that I have to logon to a website for. OK, so not that big a deal, I guess. But having instant access to my info already cached and ready to go on my phone with a push of a button sure does feel like a goal that coulda been met in 2013. Is it just a resource thing? Subscriptions dropping? Too many irons in the fire? I mean, I feel like we kinda need an explanation. Beta for just budget-type stuff released a year ago is pretty weak.
        I'm really am the biggest advocate for PS. I tell anyone that I think could benefit from the many services Pocketsmith offers. I actually use PS solely for the forecasting and calendar. I am very sure I'm not alone because many of the other features can be covered by other (cheaper) apps and services. PS really does have the BEST forecasting functionality out there.
        Has it been considered that having an all-in-one app available to match the many offerings is just too big a challenge? How about an app for just the forecasting? And another for just the budgeting, and have apps specific to customer needs? Natural selection will take care of the rest. Like I mentioned, there are a lot of budget apps out there, but only a couple forecasting apps and they are kinda wonky. Why not scrap the budget app that is really superfluous nowadays and focus on the niche stuff that no one else offers well. I'd totally pay $20 for an app (along with $10 per month) to get a secure, quick and easy way to manage my forecasting on my phone. Again, I'm sure I'm not alone.
        Rant over, but please help me understand why it's taking 6 years and what consideration has been taken to evaluate alternatives to an all-in-one. Also, please help justify why channeling resources into another budget app makes sense in todays market.

• Stratos NikolaidisStratos Nikolaidis commented  · 

Honestly, I wouldn't say that this is a native app. It's more like a "native" app built with tools like phonegap. Even this, it lacks of so many features... a simple dashboard would be nice (there are so many responsive web dashboards in the market) and at least an option to add a transaction, something which is unavailable in the mobile version of the site too.

Also, something else would be great, to add the option to login with a 4 digit pin instead of the password; for security reasons, people are using tools like lastpass which creates crazy passwords, who can remember them by heart?

That's all for now. Keep up the good work guys! We're waiting for more things to come! :-)

• andrew.l.cohenandrew.l.cohen commented  · 

as a former xero personal user and current xero business user, I would love to be able to keep up with categorizing / reconciling all my uncategorized transactions on the go

• SimonSimon commented  · 

Here is another reason why a native app is better:

With the mobile website you have to log in every single time - unless you let the browser store your username/password. If you do the latter, then (as well as probably having them stored insecurely) anyone who grabs you phone could get view your finances.

With an app, you can login just once, such that the device becomes authorised, and then protect the app with a short PIN for each authentication. This will be way more convenient.

• Josh TaneJosh Tane commented  · 

+3 Votes, excited to see what PS can do for a native iOS app, thank you!

• YanivYaniv commented  · 

Would really really love this. Also, I appreciate the design you guys have but would you consider a more modern / flat design for mobile? You could take some cues from iOS and Xero Personal. Especially on mobile devices that flat modern look goes a very long way to improving one's lifestyle. Thanks!

• Graham ProudGraham Proud commented  · 

I know Windows Phone represents a small market share, but it is growing. If you could include that on the list that would be great!

• Anonymous commented  · 

Agree. You summarised the issue beautifully.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I agree. Lacking app is like missing icing on beautiful cake

• Anonymous commented  · 

Spot on! This is a must I think in today's day and age. Would love a native app, not just Android but also other platforms.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Can I just COMPLETELY agree with this and other suggestions for a mobile app?
        I may not be looking in the right place, but I'm actually pretty disappointed because I signed up with pocketsmith in an instant after I saw (on the home page of your sales site) that it has a mobile version.
        I should have investigated further because I assumed this meant it would be a native android app, but I cant seem to find anything at all that seems mobile?? The desktop web app is way too slow and fiddly UI to be useful on my Note 3, so can someone point me to the mobile specific app if there is currently one?

I'm a paying user and I'd love to see a really slick native app with widgets for android users as well, and I'd definitely pay extra for it!

PocketSmith Web

Feedback and Knowledge Base